The Classic tour of Piacenza

The tour begins in Piazza Cavalli, exploring the historical centre of Piacenza. It is here in the heart of the city that we find the two sculptures which give the piazza its name, bronze statues of two horses carrying Alessando Farnese, the great strategist and military commander, and his son Ranuccio.  This was the foundation of the Farnese Dynasty and of the period of ducal rule, Piacenza was chosen to be the capital of the Duchy of Parma and Piacenza in 1545. Flanking the Piazza is the Gothic structure of the Palace of the Comune, built at the end of the 13th century and still retaining in its medieval splendour.

However it is the Farnese Palace with its massive structure, conceived by the architect Jacopo Barozzi known as "Vignola", which first strikes the visitor. This enormous building now houses various Museums including the Pinacoteca with Botticelli’s beautiful circular “Tondo” - The Adoration of Jesus by the Madonna, and the Archaeological Museum where you can see the famous yet curious “Fegato Etrusco”, - the “Etruscan Liver”, a Roman map of the Cosmos.

For further information please contact:
e.mail info@itineraemilia.it
Tel. + 39 327 74 69 902

Farnese Palace

The tour continues with a visit to the Medieval Cathedral one of the finest examples of Romanesque architecture in the Po Valley, and contemporary with many other “Emilian” Cathedrals Next we move on to the church of St. Savino  with its medieval mosaic floor, displaying representations of the Calendar and the signs of the Zodiac.

Something Extra

The Basilica of St Anthony: this church is devoted to the patron of the city founded in the 9th century. It was here that the Peace Treaty of Costanza was signed in 1183 between the “Lega Lombarda” and the Emperor Federico Barbarossa. From the same period we see the extraordinary cycle of frescos found in the ceiling above the central aisle. The bell tower is constructed in an unusual octagonal form.

Galleria Ricci-Oddi: This gallery founded by the noted Piacenza born collector Giuseppe Ricci-Oddi today houses a collection of over 400 works from the Romantic to the Contemporary periods. It is divided according to geographical origin, as intended by its creator. Works by Hayez, Renoir, Klimt, Bocchi, Boldini, Lega, Fattori, Morandi, Medardo Rosso and many others are on display.

The Church of Santa Maria in Campagna:  this church founded in the 16th Century is of the Marian style. The inside is decorated with frescos by Pordenone and other artists of the Emilia region, which serves to confirm the importance of the church in the hearts of the people of Piacenza.
Detail from Podenone’s fresco, in Santa Maria in Campagna

It frescoes of Saint Maria in Campagna 

For further information please contact:
E-mail: info@itineraemilia.it
Tel. +39 327 7469902

Or book this tour online now.

Book this tour online now.

Subscribe Newsletter

Quotation